Crock-Pot Pulled Pork

Watch on YouTube

Nothing beats coming home to the mouthwatering aroma of slow-cooked, melt-in-your-mouth pulled pork, perfectly tenderized over hours without any complicated techniques. It is the ultimate hands-off comfort food that guarantees maximum flavor with practically zero effort in your trusty countertop appliance.

The secret to this incredibly succulent dish lies in letting time and gentle, sustained heat do all the heavy lifting. By simply placing the large cut of meat into the basin and setting it to a low temperature for eight to ten hours, the connective tissues naturally break down, resulting in a juicy, fall-apart texture. You do not need to sear, braise, or constantly monitor anything to achieve that coveted restaurant-quality tenderness.

Once the cooking cycle finishes, two forks are all you need to effortlessly shred the roast into ribbons of savory perfection. Piling this savory, slow-cooked pork high onto toasted buns creates an unbeatable weeknight dinner or game-day feast. 

Delivering bad beats with a set:
Hosting a high-stakes poker game while feeding a full table requires serious multitasking, but it ultimately turned into the most profitable hustle of my life, getting fed and paid to host an epic game day.

The morning of the game, the energy in the house was already buzzing. A full table of players was descending on my place, and the stakes were higher than usual. Naturally, keeping everyone well-fed was priority number one to keep them glued to the felt. A buddy had highly recommended I make my famous slow-cooker barbecue pulled pork slathered in my special barbecue sauce, insisting it was the ultimate game-day fuel.

The beauty of the arrangement? The guys had all pitched in to cover the grocery bill. Since I was opening up my home and putting in the hours to cook, my contribution was purely hosting duties. I didn’t have to shell out a single dime for the meat or the fixings. My only financial risk for the entire day was the initial buy-in for the poker game itself.

I tossed everything into the slow cooker early on, letting the rich aroma fill the house while I set up the chips and cards. By the time the tournament started, the pork was fall-apart tender, and everyone was raving about the special sauce during the dinner break. Plates piled high, stomachs full, everyone was happy, which meant they were relaxed and ready to punt some chips.

Fast forward a few hours deep into the night, and the game reached its boiling point. It was a massive pot, tension thick enough to cut with a knife. I looked down at a pair of fives, completely unglamorous, but the table dynamics screamed weakness from the raiser. I decided to pull the trigger on a massive, gut-wrenching bluff and pushed all-in, I pushed my entire stack right into the center of the table.

My heart was pounding against my ribs when Sammy the guy across from me snap-called. He flipped over a pair of rockets (aces), the absolute worst-case scenario. I was dead to rights, ready to pack it in and grab another plate of pork, until the dealer fanned the flop across the green felt.

Bam. A five hit right in the window. Just like that, my little pair upgraded to a set. At that point I couldn't believe I flopped the set. The turn and river bricked out completely, leaving him drawing dead. I dragged the entire, massive pot toward my side of the table, stacking up a mountain of chips that practically guaranteed me a first-place finish.

By the time the last hand was dealt, I was the undisputed chip leader and the biggest winner of the night. Looking back, it was undeniably the most profitable day I’ve ever had at home. I did the cooking, I got to eat my own delicious barbecue, and essentially, my friends paid me to host them. You just can't beat a day like that.

Ingredients:
2 tbsp vegetable oil 
1 (4-5 lb) skinless, bone-in pork butt, fat removed 
Kosher salt 
Freshly ground black pepper 
1 lg. onion, thinly sliced 
4 cloves garlic, chopped 
1/2 cup beef broth or water
1 tbsp smoked paprika 
1 tsp garlic powder 
1 tsp onion powder 
Cooking spray
11/2 cups barbecue sauce 
Toasted buns 
Coleslaw 

Directions:
Wash the pork under cold running water, then pat dry using paper towels.

In a bowl, combine the sugar, paprika, onion, powder, garlic powder, cumin, season with salt and black pepper, mix well and set aside. 

Spray a (5-6 quart) slow cooker with cooking spray. Add in the onions, and broth.

Rub the spice mix all over the pork. Place the pork in the slow cooker, cover and cook on high heat for 3-4 hours, or on low heat for 7-8 hours. 

About 30 minutes before it's ready, remove the pork from the slow cooker and set aside to cool. When cool enough to handle, shred the pork using two forks.

Remove the onions from the liquid and set aside. Return the shredded pork to the slow cooker and stir in the barbecue sauce. Cover, set on high heat and continue cooking until hot, about 30 minutes. 

Remove from heat, plate and serve on toasted buns topped with coleslaw and onions.

Why This Recipe Works:
Crock-Pot pulled pork works through the transformative power of sustained, gentle heat, which breaks down tough, fibrous cuts of meat. As the appliance maintains a steady, low temperature over many hours, it slowly alters the structural proteins within the roast.

Specifically, this continuous heat forces the tough, intermuscular collagen and connective tissues to melt and dissolve into gelatin. This process lubricates the dense muscle fibers, allowing them to easily slide apart and yield the signature tender, shreddable texture associated with pulled pork.

Why You’ll Love This Recipe:
This pulled pork delivers effortless, melt-in-your-mouth tenderness by letting your slow cooker do all the heavy lifting. You will love how it transforms simple cuts of meat into an incredibly versatile, juicy base, perfect for loading onto sandwiches, topping nachos, or packing into tacos.

Beyond the flawless texture, it guarantees stress-free meal prep and hands-off cooking that fills your kitchen with mouthwatering aromas. It is the ultimate foolproof solution for feeding a crowd or stocking your fridge with savory, ready-to-use weeknight protein.

Recipe courtesy of chef Frank A. Saulle 



Comments

Popular Posts